Citizen Portal

Solid Waste Management | Home Page > FAQ's

What is the difference between the waste management charge and the refuse removal tariff on my bill?

The waste management charge previously formed part of rates and taxes. It has now been separated and reflects the portion of rates and taxes which is assigned to the rendering of waste management services within the City. 

This charge covers the cost for the provision of non-remunerable waste management services i.e. waste services which cannot be attributed to a specific user and covers:

  • the sweeping of streets,
  • the cleaning of public open spaces and riverbeds,
  • the removal of illegally dumped waste,
  • the development and provision of landfill sites, and;
  • the provision of waste management related infrastructure and waste management education programmes.

It is calculated on the same basis as the rates and taxes and differs for each erf depending on the land and improvement value of the specific property.

The refuse removal tariff covers the collection, transportation and disposal of household waste from each individual property connected to the municipal refuse removal service.

What do I do with my garden refuse and/or building rubble?

There are 6 sites around the city for disposal of building rubble and garden refuse.  Disposal is free of charge and during summer time the sites are open from 7h30-19h30 (Monday to Sunday, including public holidays). During winter time, sites are open from 7h00 – 18h30 (Monday to Sunday, including public holidays).

Residents are encouraged to make use of these sites, at the following locations:

Pionierspark - off Bernt Carlson Road

Khomasdal - off Kornalyn Road

Havana - off Monte Christo Road

Eros - off Gen. Murtala Muhammed Ave.

Ludwigsdorf - off Babs Street

Olympia - off Sean McBride Street

Otjomuise - off Dusseldorf street

The removal of garden refuse and building rubble is done at a cost. Kindly contact the Solid Waste Management office for a quotation.

What type of waste must I place in the orange skip container?

The skip container is for the disposal of garden refuse and building rubble only, and definitely not for household waste!

These containers are placed in the North Western Suburbs where it is believed that the majority of residents do not have the means to easily access garden refuse and building rubble sites.

Where do I report illegal dumping and what happens after I have reported?

Illegal dumping can be reported at the following offices:

Regional councillors constituency offices

  • Windhoek west Constituency in Pullmann street
  • Tobias Hainyeko Constituency in Omuvapu street
  • Samora Machel Constituency in Tugela street
  • Katutura East Constituency in Titus Namueja street
  • Katutura Central Constituency in Pullmann street
  • Khomasdal North Constituency in Bonn street
  • Moses Garoeb Constituency in Omuvapu street
  • Soweto Constituency in Abraham Mashego street
  • Windhoek Rural Constituency in Nelson Mandela street
  • Windhoek East Constituency in Pullmann street

Municipal offices

  • Head office in Independence avenue at the Customer Care Centre
  • Katutura Customer Care Centre in Independence avenue
  • Khomasdal Municipal office in Borgward street
  • Soweto Municipal Office in Emmaus street

To any Municipal official in your area

To Ward contractors in your area

To the Solid Waste Management office in New Castle street, Northern Industrial Area

Your complaint will be investigated. The guilty party, if found, will be instructed to remove the waste within a specified time frame, failing which, the City will remove it for their account.  If the guilty party not be traced, the City will clean the area at cost to the residents.

What do I do if my 240L wheelie bin is broken, stolen or burned beyond use?

  • If your wheelie bin be broken beyond repair, you are requested to either report it to the Solid Waste Management Division or to bring it to the office (New Castle Street, Northern Industrial Area) for a replacement bin.
  • Should your bin be chipped, but still be in usable, you are requested to continue using it. 
  • Should your bin be missing or stolen, you are requested to first ascertain that it was not taken by a neighbour. If it cannot be found, you must report it stolen to the police and obtain a case number which you use to apply at the Solid waste management division for a replacement. It then becomes a potential theft case for investigation.
  • Should your bin be burned beyond repair, you are required to give account of what led to the burning and bring the bin to the Solid waste management office for replacement.

How do I connect for waste removal services and ensure that the service is rendered to me once connected?

Connection of services is done at the Municipal Head Office.  A form will be issued to you to indicate which services you require. Ensure that you tick the refuse removal box and indicate the number of bins required as well as the frequency of removal. 

Once completed, proceed to the Solid Waste Management offices in New Castle Street to pick up your 240L wheelie bin or to arrange for it to be delivered to your premises. 

Thereafter, ensure that you push your bin onto the kerb on the day stipulated on the refuse removal programme for your area. Ensure that your bill indicates the correct tariff and the service rendered to you is what you have requested in your application.

Failure to follow this procedure may result in you paying for services which are not rendered to you.

What is the availability charge and why do I pay such a charge if my refuse is removed by a private contractor?

The City of Windhoek has the responsibility to manage waste generated within the Windhoek city limits. To align itself with this responsibility, the City provides infrastructure equipment and tools to render the services with immediate effect when requested. The availability charge is levied to all property owners who are not connected to the City for waste removal services. In the event that they require such services, it is made available. This level of preparedness is costly and hence the availability charge is levied to cover such costs.

How are the waste management tariffs calculated?

The waste management tariffs are calculated based on a cost recovery principle.  The polluter pays principle is applied to ensure that the generator of the waste is responsible for paying for the costs of removing and disposing of such waste. 

Can I rent a 240L wheelie bin/ skip container for use at an event?

Yes, as a resident you can rent the 240L Wheelie bins at the relevant charges and the City will deliver your rented containers and collect at the end of the rental period.  The containers when collected, must be in the same condition as they were supplied, that is, without being burned, broken or chipped.

The City does not rent out any skip containers to be used at events.

I pay waste management charge. Why does the City not sweep/clean in front of my house?

The City has outsourced the Open Space and Street Cleansing Service to the Ward Contractors. They have the responsibility of this function on behalf of the City.  Streets are swept according to a pre-determined schedule and the frequency depends on the location of the street and the need for frequent sweeping.  Streets which are central and which have a high frequency of users are swept more frequently than those in quiet locations.  The frequency varies from monthly to daily.  Should you have any queries, you can ask the Ward Contractor in your area when your street is scheduled for sweeping.  Keep in mind that the Waste Management Charge covers more than merely the sweeping of streets.

Who owns the 240 L wheelie bin? Is it my property or does it belong to the City of Windhoek?

The 240L wheelie bin belongs to the City of Windhoek.  You are merely using it for the period it is assigned to your property.  Should you disconnect the waste removal services you are required to return the wheelie bin to the City of Windhoek.

Can I use my 240L wheelie bin for any use other than containing household waste?

No, you cannot use the 240 L wheelie bin assigned to your property for any other use except that for which it was designed and allocated, which is for the containment of household waste.

You are not allowed to place heavy refuse e.g. building rubble and garden refuse and drag the container for disposal at the skip container or anywhere else as this will damage the container.

Why is my 240L wheelie bin only emptied once a week and what can I do if I want to increase the frequency of removal?

The City removes the household waste once a week because the amount of waste generated at the household level demonstrated that a weekly removal is sufficient. In the event that a property generates waste in excess of the allocated wheelie bin, a second bin may be requested at an additional cost to the resident.

What can I dispose of in the 240 L wheelie bin?

Any waste generated in your household can be placed in the container except oil, tree branches, sand and stones, hazardous and corrosive substances, heavy iron e.g. car parts, appliances, hot ashes/coals,  and anything that can damage the container and the removal truck. 

Note that once the bin is emptied into the waste truck, the waste is compacted whilst the truck is in operation and therefore any of the above objects will damage the compacting mechanisms of the truck and cause a breakdown, which will hinder operations.

How do I participate in the Clear Bag Recycling System?

The Clear Bag Recycling System allows for all households in Windhoek to recycle at source.  This means that by removing recyclables from the main waste stream, they are prevented from ending up at the landfill site. This ensures that the lifespan of the landfill site is extended. The Clear Bag Recycling System has been in operation since September 2010 all residential areas where waste is collected on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays can participate.  All households in these areas are supplied with a clear bag, in which residents are required to place recyclables.  The bag full of recyclables must be placed next to the wheelie bin on waste removal day and whilst the bin is emptied by the City of Windhoek, the clear bag will be collected by Rent-A-Drum.  Upon collection of the full bag, the resident will be supplied with an empty clear bag. The empty bag will be tied to the empty wheelie bin. 

What can I recycle?

The items that must be placed in the clear bag are plastic, cans, paper and glass.  Residents are to ensure that the recyclables are clean and dry before placing them into the bag.  Residents are requested to rinse the containers before placing them into the bag.

Why does the City of Windhoek empty my container and leave the clear bag behind

The implementation of the Clear Bag Recycling System and removal of the clear bag is done by Rent – A – Drum on the same day as the removal of waste by the City of Windhoek. Please keep in mind that the truck that empties the green wheelie bin and the truck that collects the recyclables will not necessarily do so at the same time.

What must I do when my clear bag is not be collected?

Should the clear bag not be removed, kindly retain it for removal at the same day the following week and report to Rent – A – Drum at telephone no: +264 61 244097

For any Solid Waste Management related queries/ concerns, contact:

Solid Waste Management offices in New Castle street, Northern Industrial Area
Tel:  +264 61 290 3110/1
Fax: +264 61 290 2844

< back to FAQ's

Citizen Portal Links

Random Images

City of Windhoek | The Gateway to Endless Opportunities

Info Portal

The heart of Namibia, Windhoek, possesses a unique charm due to its harmonious blend of African and European cultures and the friendliness of its people. It serves as a strategic point from which to ... go there

Citizen Portal

Windhoek - City of Many Faces. Pulsing with life, opportunity and the promise of adventure, Windhoek is a multicultural city, characterised by the tranquil co-existence and ample lebensraum for its people ... go there

Business Portal

The City as the capital in a well-organized country, possess the necessary infrastructure and services in place to attract key industry players. ... go there

Councillors Portal

Council is the highest decision making body of the Windhoek municipality. Windhoek is run by a multi-party organ of 15 Councillors
... go there

Tourism Portal

The charm of the City of Windhoek lies in its harmonious blend of African and European cultures and the friendliness of its people. Since Independence came to the country on 21 March 1990, ... go there

Department Portal

The City of Windhoek consists of the 9 departments, which are geared towards increasing service delivery to the residents of the Capital... go there

Media Portal

This portal is designed to keep the media informed of what is happening within the City of Windhoek. All media will be able to log onto the portal with their user details to access documents relevant for publication ... go there
City of Windhoek
The Gateway to Endless Opportunities
Online Statement Search Notifications
website by Intouch Interactive Marketing

Public Notices

Notice From: To: Location: More Details:
Water Management Plan 01 Nov 2018 30 Nov 2019 Windhoek Download PDF
Strategic plan at a glance 01 Jul 2017 30 Jun 2022 Windhoek Download PDF
Strategic plan at a glance - Pocket booklet 01 Jul 2017 30 Jun 2022 Windhoek Download PDF
Strategic Plan 01 Jul 2017 30 Jun 2022 Windhoek Download PDF
Institutional Land Policy 21 Sep 2018 30 Jun 2022 Windhoek Download PDF