The Alte Feste is one of the oldest buildings in Windhoek with its cornerstone laid in 1890. The Fort is situated in Robert Mugabe Avenue. By 1893 the fort, with its corner towers, embrasures and central courtyard had been completed. It was extended to its present shape after 1901 by the architectect Gottlieb Redecker. The Alte Feste was constructed as a fortification by the Schutztruppe under Captain C. von Francois to uphold peace and order between the warring Nama’s and Herero’s, according to the inscription. This fortress served as a barracks and shelter for women and children during the 1904 Herero war. During the First World War the Alte Feste served as headquarters for the schutztruppe, until the German troops withdrew to the north on 4 May 1915.From 1915 onwards it served as headquarters for the South African troops, and from 1925 it was used as a hostel and classrooms by the Windhoek high school. The Fort was later declared a National Monument in 1957 and in 1962 it became the home of the historical section of the National Museum. The Alte Feste has been closed for renovations since 2014.