This cemetery was used from 1924 to 1960 and was commissioned by the Windhoek Municipality, because there was no space in the Gammams Cemetery which had been in use since 1904. This site was directly opposite the Gammams cemetery. The extension is known today as the ‘Old location’ cemetery because it bordered the reserve for black residents of Windhoek under the apartheid rule. Among the graves at the cemetery is the historic for those who were killed in 1959 by the South African authorities for refusing to relocate from their homes to a new, racially segregated township. The mass grave was later declared a national monument in August 2004.